The other day, I wrote on my author’s blog about editing down a novel to get word count within the proper guidelines. You can read that post here.

One of the things I talked about was how my novel, in the first draft form, was a little over 120,000 words, which meant I needed to cut between 22-24,000 words from it for the genre and style of the novel. I knew when I wrote it I would have to cut it. It was, after all, a 2006 NaNoWriMo novel. For those unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo, it’s a self-challenge ‘contest’ to write a novel in 30 days. To do that, we have to focus more on just writing for the sake of writing than for the sake of the story. This meant there were a lot of filler scenes in that weren’t necessary for the story at all. Those were decently easy to cut out. Read the rest of this entry »